Thursday, October 13, 2011

Frustrated and helpless

There is nothing more frustrating and upsetting than seeing your loved one in pain and not being able to do anything about it. That is to say not being able to alleviate it or take it on yourself. I did all I could to get Kaplan involved and got her in and got the prescription and administered the meds. I'll keep her on the dose schedule and record her pain levels. But if it doesn't really work, she is going to feel it and there is nothing I can do. It's sad and emotionally disturbing.

It also is a first. She's had pain before on her surgery sites, but those have been managed satisfactorily with ibuprofen. This is a new phase, with likely cancer-caused pain. In advancing cancer it is not unusual to have pain which won't go away. It has to be managed through medication. This is not a happy thought and I hope whatever is generating the pain can be dealt with. I'm not ready for this to be a new phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment