Friday, February 4, 2011

Marking Milestones and Meaning

I had better explain the photo below in the earlier post.

One of the things the boys and I did last summer was to all get the same tattoo (in different places) that had two elements, our Scottish clan crest (a demi-lion rampant inside a belt, with the motto “pro rege”, “for the king”)and we added a personal motto below, “salus in arduis” which means “a stronghold in difficulty”. How apt, given Meagan’s cancer diagnosis.

Many will tell you it’s a slippery slope when it comes to tattoos, they are like potato chips, you can’t have just one (which is why I’ve given up potato chips). So a confession, at this point I now have five. Why do you think the place I go is called,”Slave to the Needle”? Hey,with a wife with cancer, all the old rules and norms go out the door. One of the tattoos is about the chapter in our lives dealing with cancer. It is of the lavender plant, representing healing, caring, and evoking soothing feelings.  It’s on my left forearm.   

No comments:

Post a Comment