Tuesday, February 15, 2011

In Honor of Valentines Day

No, it's not weird to have a wife with cancer on Valentines Day. We ignore the tumors. Having the cancer doesn't diminish in any way the love I feel for her. In many many respects it deepens and strengthens our love. I'm certainly grateful that from an outward perspective this disease has been kind so far, and her capacities are at an even greater level than before the diagnosis - in fact she looks and acts in the pink of health thanks to her awesome diet and exercise.


Now I am fully prepared for what is to come. Not thinking about the disease mind you. But the "instant menopause" thanks to the Lupron and Tamoxifen. That's a bit of a different story. Apparently you sorta get a new wife  - between the hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.

But I am prepared. Based on what we've gone through the last 10 months with her cancer diagnosis, I think I can handle anything. I may have to up my drug intake, but I can handle it.
The card I gave her had an old, but exuberant couple on it, riding on a motorcycle with the woman in the old sidecar. The message was about being side by side, together growing old and enjoying life. That's the way I approached Valentines Day and every day ahead. Side by side, step by step we will walk together down this path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment