Friday, November 11, 2011

Sleep no better at home...

Such a difficult situation right now. She's eating and drinking very little. She has been able to keep her medications down. She has no ability to self care or move around, and when she does it makes her dizzy. She is also shaking like a leaf and can barely hold her cup. Getting her in and out of her wheelchair and in and out of the bathroom is a challenge. If she stays like this I can't imagine how difficult it is going to be to try to get her to her daily radiation treatment. Getting into some sort of outfit will be a major endeavor.

We are going to try a little something different this afternoon, thanks to a friend. A package of medical marijuana will arrive in the form of suckers and lollipops. If this works to help reduce nausea and stimulate appetite, then Dr Kaplan is fully on board with signing the authorization form so she can get it directly. I've never been so anxious to see the Fed Ex delivery truck.

To top it all off, she has major chest congestion and a lot of junk in her throat. Not sure if this is caused by the thrush or just due to low blood counts. I've got an email in to Kaplan about what to do for this. We had a 45 minute episode last night at 3am where she just kept coughing and coughing - and it makes her nausea worse. Sheesh...this gal cannot buy a break.

I exchanged some email last night with Dr Kaplan about getting her with hospice and he agrees. He is happy to get her onto IV medications at home and with the medical marijuana if that helps. He also said, "I think the goal should be that we make her comfy, I doubt we can do any better than that".




1 comment:

  1. Sending you all the love I can muster. I've never been that close to Meagan. Would you consider me for her caregiver? I would be honored to help you out and I have the time. Hugs,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete